Daily Advertiser - When a classmate died of a drug overdose, Symmes Culbertson bought a black suit for the funeral.
“It didn’t feel right to wear a blue sports jacket,” the 23-year-old political science major said.
What he didn’t count on was how many more funerals of classmates he would attend — six since he began attending Louisiana State University in 2013. “The number of people that I have known by name or in passing that have died from prescription drug overdoses, just in my college years, is well into the teens,” Culbertson said.
These kinds of events have become increasingly common at U.S. colleges, where many students view mixing pills and chasing them with alcohol as a rite of passage, rather than a dangerous and often deadly practice.